The AUUG Portal - more than a web site!
This article outlines some of the features to look forward to as the new AUUG website takes shape.
The AUUG Portal has been discontinued.
The new AUUG website is more than just a modern version of the old website - it is a vehicle by which AUUG will fulfill its role of building a community by connecting, supporting and promoting people with an interest in interoperable computing.
Some of the features that will become available include:
- news articles relevant to Unix, Linux and Open Source
- a blogspot for members to host their own blogs
- podcasts of interviews with a number of Unix, Linux and Open Source luminaries
- discussion forums on topics relevant to the membership, including platforms and programming languages
- an archive of AUUGN articles, some going back almost thirty years
- papers from previous AUUG conferences
- voting on the content of the quarterly AUUG DVDs supplied to members
All of this is supported by RSS syndication - allowing you to easily keep up to date.
The portal itself is implemented using Plone - an Open Source content management system that supports permissions and workflow - which will allow us to share the load of maintaining the portal.
I look forward to you becoming involved, whether it is submitting links to news articles, participating in the discussion forums, adding your own blog, providing interviews for podcasts or helping with the digitisation of AUUGN back issues.
forum where you can provide feedback,
suggestions or even offers to help.
Steve Landers, AUUG Vice President